Patches and hotfixes are free updates for Hearts of Iron IV, though they are different in purpose:
- Patches fix bugs and/or implement balance tweaks. They are sometimes released alongside a new, major DLC. When this occurs, a portion of the DLC's features are usually shipped as part of the coinciding free patch, thus made available to anyone who has the base game.
- Hotfixes are very small updates to the game that usually fix only a few bugs and may contain a few changes to the gameplay as well. Hotfixes are commonly released shortly after major patches to fix any unforeseen bugs that came with the previous update, or independently to fix newly-discovered bugs or exploits.
- Note that newer DLCs cannot be activated if you are playing on an older patch version. This is also applicable to mods, which have various levels of compatibility with new patches.
|Version||Date of Addition||Checksum||Notes|
|1.3.1||21 Dec 2016||8152||Hotfix|
|1.3.0||15 Dec 2016||5256||"Torch" released alongside Together for Victory.|
|1.2.1||23 Sep 2016||3d5f||Hotfix|
|1.2.0||16 Sep 2016||bb23||"Sunflower"|
|1.1.0||30 Jun 2016||5d33||"Red Ball Express"|
|1.0.1||14 Jun 2016||f680||Hotfix|
|1.0.0||06 Jun 2016||8899||Release version|
Playing earlier versions
When a new version is released in Steam, this normally updates the files on your computer automatically. If you wish to continue to play an earlier version you can do this from Steam. This can allow you to continue to play a game that started in a previous version, if your game is not compatible with the currently released version, or you have technical problems in the current version.
- Go to the Library -> Games and right-click on the name of the game "Hearts of Iron IV".
- From the menu select Properties.
- On the Betas tab, you can Select the beta you would like to opt into. By default this is set to NONE - Opt out of all beta programs. On this list you will see several versions listed, but not the currently released version. Despite the way this is presented by Steam, these are not beta versions, these are the earlier released (live) versions. Choosing one of these causes Steam to install the files from that version on your PC.
Checksum and mods
The base game checksum (with no mods loaded) can be seen in the bottom left corner of the loader screen in brackets after the version number:
The final checksum can be changed by mods you have enabled, unless they only change graphics options. The checksum generated by any mods can be seen under the main menu when you load the game:
If the base checksum and final value are different, then you have a mod enabled which is affecting the checksum. This will affect achievements and multi-player.